Christmas wedding in Greenwich, London
Welcome to the Christmas wedding in London at The Old Naval College. Christmas is a special time of the year that makes the wedding celebration a magical experience. Seems like the photography around this time is tricky and demanding – you need to use all the low light capabilities of your equipment and merge it with the finest photography skills you have. This is a moment when the photographer can prove himself as a true artist.
In spite of the darker daylight hours, I enjoy London during the Christmas season for wedding photoshoots. During the holiday season, I like to do pre-wedding, engagement, and wedding photoshoots in London.
I was really excited to take part in the Christmas wedding of Emma and Simon. I’ve been shooting in London for loads of years and I know that this Christmas wedding will be an unforgettable experience. The reception took place in the old royal naval college in Greenwich – one of my favorite places for wedding photography. It’s an amazing location with a beautiful structure, perfect light, amazing landscape and also close to the city center.
The bride getting ready at The Rookery hotel
The day started at The Rookery – a nice boutique hotel in London, one of the oldest hotels out there. Rookery hotel is located in Clerkenwell, a vibrant, creative neighborhood. The only remaining early houses in Peter’s Lane have been renovated and extended into a charming boutique hotel tucked away within a short walk of St Paul’s Cathedral, the Bank of England, and the Old Bailey. The Rookery is full of period charm on the inside. The place is filled with polished wood paneling, stone-flagged floors, open fires, and antique furniture – more of a private club than a hotel.
The hotel proved to be a nice place for the getting-ready photos, an intimate place for bridal preparations. Moreover, the hotel was chosen because of its proximity to the wedding ceremony venue, St. Clement Danes Church
The Christmas wedding ceremony at the St. Clement Danes Church, London
The ceremony took place at the St. Clement Danes Church in Central London. London’s St Clement Danes Church is an Anglican church. It is located on the Strand outside the Royal Courts of Justice. It is sometimes claimed that this church is the one featured in the nursery rhyme “Oranges and Lemons” and the bells do indeed play that tune.
Best Christmas wedding photography spots in London
As a regular observer and photographer of Christmas decorations in London, I have compiled a list of all the best places to capture the most beautiful moments.
- St James’s and Piccadilly Christmas lights,
- Bond Street Christmas lights,
- Leicester Square Christmas lights,
- Oxford Street Christmas lights,
- Seven Dials Christmas lights,
- King’s Cross and Coal Drops Yard Christmas lights,
- Shard Lights,
- London Eye.
For this wedding, we didn’t have time for a full-day photoshoot in London, but we enjoyed the views from the boat ride and captured a few photos of the tower bridge and the banks of the Thames.
The wedding boat ride to Greenwich
After the wedding ceremony, they went on a boat ride along the River Thames to Greenwich. The bride and groom had organized the private boat hire that departed from Westminster Pier directly to Greenwich Pier.
As they were sailing along the river, they could see the London Eye and other landmarks in the distance. They also saw other boats, which were filled with people congratulating them.
Old Royal Naval College – wedding reception in the Painted Hall
When they arrived in Greenwich, the couple had their wedding dinner at the stunning architecture and landscape of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The reception was held at the Old Royal Naval College – one of the most beautiful buildings in London. If you are looking for the ultimate riverside wedding location in London, The Old Royal Naval College is a perfect choice! One of the most iconic and extravagant landmarks in London, this building offers you a choice of wedding experiences. Marrying at the Old Royal Naval College in London gives you exclusive permission to take photographs on their grounds. The river and fine baroque architecture make for an unforgettable, dramatic backdrop. And so we did.
The two wedding venues in Old Naval Colege are the Painted Hall and Admiral’s House. Emma and Simon decided to go for the first one.
The Painted Hall is a true masterpiece with one of the most spectacular Baroque interiors in Europe. The extraordinary ceiling and wall decorations were conceived and executed by British artist Sir James Thornhill. This epic painting scheme, known as “Britain’s Sistine Chapel,” took nineteen years to be completed.
The capacity of the Old Naval College wedding venue is 400 standing, 400 dinners, and 300 theater style with stage. They ask for a minimum of 80 guests for a Painted Hall wedding.
Greenwich wedding photographer
If you are looking for a Greenwich wedding photographer in London or anywhere else around the United Kingdom, please contact me at [email protected] or call +44 7979974527.
Or if you’d like to see more of my weddings in London, you can browse here:
10 FAQs and their answers related to weddings at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich
2. Q: How can I book the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich as my wedding venue during the Christmas season? A: To book the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich as your wedding venue during the Christmas season, please contact their events team through their official website or by calling their dedicated wedding events line. They will guide you through the booking process and provide all necessary details.
3. Q: Is the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich a popular wedding venue for Christmas weddings? A: Yes, the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich is a highly sought-after wedding venue during the Christmas season due to its stunning architecture, historical significance, and beautiful surroundings.
4. Q: How can I hire the Old Royal Naval College for my wedding ceremony or reception? A: To hire the Old Royal Naval College for your wedding ceremony or reception, get in touch with their venue hire team. They will assist you in choosing the appropriate spaces and provide information about availability and pricing.
5. Q: Can I have my wedding photography taken at the Painted Hall in the Old Royal Naval College? A: Yes, the Painted Hall at the Old Royal Naval College is a magnificent location for wedding photography. It’s grand architecture and beautiful artwork provide an enchanting backdrop for capturing your special moments.
6. Q: Are there any restrictions for hiring a wedding photographer at the Old Royal Naval College? A: The Old Royal Naval College welcomes outside wedding photographers. However, they may have certain guidelines and restrictions in place to ensure the preservation of the historic site. It’s best to coordinate with the venue’s events team and the photographer to adhere to any requirements.
7. Q: Can you suggest a professional wedding photographer experienced in capturing weddings at the Old Royal Naval College? A: Certainly! I recommend reaching out to Janis Ratnieks, who has experience in photographing weddings at the Old Royal Naval College and can capture the venue’s unique charm and beauty.
8. Q: Is Greenwich a popular location for weddings in London? A: Yes, Greenwich is a beloved wedding location in London, thanks to its picturesque setting, historical landmarks, and romantic ambiance, making it an ideal choice for couples seeking a memorable wedding experience.
9. Q: Can you tell me more about hosting a wedding ceremony at the Painted Hall in Greenwich? A: The Painted Hall is an extraordinary venue for wedding ceremonies in Greenwich. With its magnificent ceiling adorned with stunning artwork, it provides a magical and elegant setting for exchanging vows and celebrating love during the Christmas season.
10. Q: What are the rates for hiring the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich as a wedding venue during Christmas? A: The rates for hiring the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich as a wedding venue during the Christmas season may vary depending on the specific requirements, such as the date, duration, and spaces needed. It’s best to contact their events team directly to get detailed pricing information and discuss the options available to suit your budget and preferences.